Without referring to Chapter 10, fill in each of the following blanks with the correct term from the chapter. The correct answers are provided at the back of the book. Carefully review the material related to your incorrect answers.
1. H.M.’s operation was a bilateral medial temporal lobectomy.
2. CA stands for cornu ammonis, which is another term for hippocampus.
Quote in which online medical / etymological dictionary do you find the term cornu ammonis(海馬)
3. The neurons of the basal forebrain release acetylcholine throughout the neocortex.
4. The process by which short-term memories are converted to long-term memories is called consolidation.
5. The hippocampus and adjacent dentate gyrus are allocortex.
Check in the dictionary for the definition of the prefix allo-
6. The subicular cortex is a transition area of cortex between the hippocampus and entorhinal cortex.
Find relevant neuroanatomical pictures on the web?
7. The amnesia of Alzheimer’s disease is thought to be associated with degeneration of cholinergic structures of the basal forebrain.
8. Just anterior to the hippocampus is another medial temporal lobe nucleus, the amygdale.
9. The area of cortex between the subicular cortex and the perirhinal cortex is the entorhinal cortex.
10. Korsakoff’s amnesia seems to be associated with damage to the mediodorsal nuclei of the thalamus.
11. At the very edge of the cortex is the hippocampal CA 4 region.